Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Frozen tilapia

Nyoom

Reaction score
I feed strips of frozen/thawed tilapia to my bichir and he seems to do really well on the stuff. Assuming that nutrition is relatively preserved during freezing (as most studies show) would this be okay to add to a diet of pellets and earthworms for Axolotl?

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score

Frizbee

Reaction score
I have used frozen thawed tilapia for fish, axolotls, frogs, tegus, turtles, etc. without an issue. As with any food it is not exclusive and intermixed with worms/pellets/etc. The only thing I have noticed with some axolotls is it sometimes takes them a bit to get used to/find since it's not a real "smelly" fish, but once they realize what it is they hoover it right up. You could use tongs to feed until they get used to it vs plunking a few chunks/strips in the tank and waiting for them to stumble upon it and, with any food, anything not eaten should be removed from the tank to keep from fouling the water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!