Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T.Verro - Learning

Krokodil

Reaction score
Recently bought some T.Verrocosus and happy to say they are doing well.

I have them in a 27 gal right now, and they are breeding which is nice. Substrate is a sand/slate mix, have lots of live plants in there too which are growing nicely, wasnt expecting them to, not very green fingered :D

Water is at 22-24c, activity is high and feeding is good, but also chaos. They dont seem to be able to smell earthworms, they just swim at the glass and attack each other, even when i try to tong feed them its a bit hit and miss. So I changed tactic, now when i drop the eathworms in, i also drop in a few bloodworms which they can smell, it works a little better.

As for larvae at first i seperated some from the adult tank, but interestingly the ones left with the adults grew much much faster, so now I leave them all in, and only remove injured ones to a smaller tank.

Moving house in 2 weeks and dreading moving the setup. On the plus side I have a 50 gallon tank that will be a barebottom temporary home until I can resetup the 27gal they are in now. Once thats all done, the 50 will become a bit of a project for a water/land setup 80/20. Will post snaps of that as it progresses I think.

Really enjoying keeping these animals, full of character! Think I have 2 darks and a light variant, male is dark. The lighter female is also HUGE! Having a blast so far though :)

Attachments

• First Pics of all 3.jpg
    First Pics of all 3.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 547
  • Nessie 1.jpg
    Nessie 1.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 400
  • Larvae 1.jpg
    Larvae 1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 401
  • Small tank.jpg
    Small tank.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 395

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like you keep yours in a very similar way to me. I never bother removing eggs/babies anymore, the adults will happily eat their own eggs, but I've yet to see any of mine so much as snap at larvae.
I think the feeding chaos is part of their appeal really. I often wonder if they're called Crocodile newts because of their attempts to Crocodile roll each others legs off.

Krokodil

Reaction score
Feeding time is rather enjoyable, its true. My only concern was the big female the lighter variant is super aggressive, she attacks everything, my fiance managed to get it on camera where both females had a hold of the others bottom jaw and then they death roll like crocodiles, neither wanted to let go. They only let go after they were removed from the water, crazy beasts!

Ive seen mine eat eggs, but the they spit them back out again, ive only ever seen the larger female swallow a larvae once too. I wish I knew how the little ones loose their arms and legs, and I hope they grow back well.

Really looking forward to being all moved and have the 2 large tanks done and sorted so I can seperate the male out, with summer temps all the time I cant stop them breeding without removal. That said though, the newer hatched larvae do make excellent moving snacks for the first generation. Watching the tank is better than television, my camera is now filled with videos and pictures of courting, laying eggs, fighting, all sorts! :D

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's quite a deep tank where I keep mine so I keep a garden cane in the cupboard underneath to poke them apart if things start to look too serious! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!