Morphing questions

ekocak

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!
I've kept ambystomatids for many years, and a few Necturus but this is my first foray into eurasian newts. In January I received some T. dobrogicus dobrogicus eggs from Michael Shrom. I've kept them in a well planted tank and experimented with feeding them both daphnia and bbs. Anyways, theyre now almost all sporting all 4 legs. I've separated the largest six into a new tank with some lowered water level, and a haul out area. One or two of them seem to have reduction in gill size, and one of them has the biggest gills I have ever seen. Seriously, theyre like 2x the height of the larva. I'll post a pic later. Is it too early to expect morphing? Some of what I've read on here seems to suggest it's around 6 months? What should I look out for? How deep is too deep? When should I move them completely to full terrestrial? When should I consider moving them back? Thanks, and thanks for your patience with me.

EDIT: Here is Newtzilla
C90oGmjXkAAOrYP.jpg-large.jpeg

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back