Pseudacris crucifer (Spring Peeper) Releasing young frogs

David339

Reaction score
Country
United States
I raised some frog eggs I found in the ditch at the house. They have for the last 2 weeks been changing to frogs. I currently have about 29 baby frogs. I intend to release them back into the wild. Is it too close to winter to release them? How much time do these guys need to be prepared for winter? Obviously I cant keep all of these. I still have about 110 tadpoles to go. I had more originally(somewhere around 180-200) but I was feeding some as treats for my eastern painted turtles.

WHen I had frogs like that I just released them right next to a nearby pond. If they took this long to morph, maybe that's how long they would have taken in the wild?

I was more concerned for them to have some time before winter sets in. I still have 104 tadpoles that are not morphed yet. I'm more worried about the ones who have yet to become frogs and them having time to be prepared to hibernate. I don't really want to let them go just to die off. When would be to late to let them go?

I would release them where you obtained them and not wait any longer. I doubt anyone here can tell you with certainty how long they need to prepare for winter and unless you can care and provide for that many frogs over the winter I think they'd have a much better chance fending for themselves.

I'm giving them a little boost on springtails and fruit flies before letting them go. 30 baby frogs are released. 6 more already turned since. It's supposed to be high in the 80's for the next 2 weeks so they should have some time. They are native and going back to where they began. I raised them from eggs to be feeders for painted turtles. The eggs were in a drying ditch, there usually isn't much water in it except a couple months ago when we had a lot of rain. I didn't realize how many eggs I had nor how many would hatch. Only a very few died when they were squiggles or didn't hatch. The kids sure enjoyed watching them grow up. Once they started turning into little frogs I felt bad about using them as feeders.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back