Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Using big gallon tubs instead of tanks

colorfultrolls

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had ever used the large gallon tubs instead of tanks for axies, I know it's done often for turtles and other fish.

Would it work as well as long as you can install in the filter & other things needed for a tank?

I am considering it as cleaning out a tank that is currently too tall for me to clean easily is becoming hard and a tub would be so much easier to pump + clean than a tank would be.

ArwenX7

Reaction score
I guess you could. However plastic tubs end up getting scratches and damaged much more easily than a glass or even an acrylic aquarium. They are also not as clear, so not as nice to look at your pets through.

Can you not lower your current tank at all? Putting it on a lower table or something?
How about getting a shorter tank? I am rather challenged in the height department and have been looking at getting a custom tank made tank of around 16-18inches high, but still having a large footprint (something like 5ftx2ft). If they make live easier, then they end up not being too expensive compared to "regular" sized tanks.

colorfultrolls

Reaction score
My current tank is 33 gal (custom one bought from another friend) and my desk is too small in both size + weight carrying ability to hold it. I'll post a picture of what it looks like currently. (Pardon the greenness, cleaning day is on Friday's.) I can't think of any way to lower it without having to build a whole new custom stand but please give some recc's on how I can maybe fix it. At the moment' the edge of the top of the tank goes up to my armpit...Cleaning a hassle, to say the least.
view

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I'm not able to open the picture but you could look into a second hand strong coffee table? It may be too short for what you need but it can be an easy cheap solution. You should be able to find one that can hold the weight. My 35 gallon tank is on a computer desk and it holds the weight really well, though I am on the lookout for a stronger replacement. It's around the same height as yours so is a bit of a hassle to clean as well!
I've seen plenty of people use tubs instead of tanks which seems to work fine, but just isn't aesthetically pleasing :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1