Question: Baby Or Adult Axolotl

HELP

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I've owned an adult Axolotl in the past and have wanted to own a baby one too so i was wondering if i should get one and how hard it would be to maintain them feeding wise since i use frozen bloodworm cubes and brine shrimp i've heard of using a turkey baster to feed them but i don't want the mess

any thought would be nice thx

I haven't kept a young juvenile before but they are probably a bit more sensitive to water parameters than adults may be. I've seen lots of people feed juveniles bloodworms, using a jar will be a lot easier for you than a turkey baster and easier clean up! Then you can move on to chopped up nightcrawlers as it gets bigger :)
If you need any aussie nightcrawler online suppliers let me know, I've used a few!

I'm not sure what age you are classing as a juveniles , but I bought my axie at around 3 months old.

They were eating chopped up earth worms, although with some difficulty. I ended up reverting to feeding blood worms, along with pellets which they took to with no bother. I find it easier to simply take them out of the tank and into a tub to feed them. Stevie (my axoltol) is now totally used to this and swims either into my hand or into the glass I use to transfer them to the tub.

Now at just over 4 months old they are eating small earthworms with no bother. Along with pellets when they are feeling lazy!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back