Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Going on vacation, guppies?

G

grant

Ok I am going out of town thursday morning and will be returning saturday at at 1 am. What should I feed my axie. I have heard that guppies are good to put in the tank but everyone on this forum is highly against them. I put 2 guppies in his tank a couple days ago to see if he can eat them (I checked them for any spots or anything strange and they are bred from a friend of mine) and as soon as I put them in he ate them and seemed to enjoy it. However, I do not want my axie to get sick or anything so what should I do?

J

joan

Feed him an extra worm before you leave. I wouldn't be hard-pressed to leave mine for a week without food.

G

grant

Ok, I don't know how much he should eat but he is about 5 inches long and a juvenile. But he likes to be fed 3 times a day with either a red wiggler (small earthworm) or a wax worm or something. If he isn't fed he will swim around like he is looking for food even in the middle of the day.

J

joan

WOW! You're overfeeding!! At that size, you can feed them 3 times a week, not 3 times a day. They're opportunistic feeders. They'll eat even if they're not hungry.

G

grant

I heard that they don't overfeed? The worms he eats are very small though, the biggest is maybe 2 inches long and very thin plus I cut off their "head part" so they don't fight as much (he eats them better and easier that way) and whenever I feed him in the afternoon its only half of a wax worm (only every other day) so if you know how small a wax worm is thats only a few centimeters worth of worm. Should I feed him 3 times a week then? and how much in each "feeding"?

(Message edited by gx3 on May 24, 2005)

(Message edited by gx3 on May 24, 2005)

G

grant

Oh by the way he is also EXTREMELY active. He swims around all the time, day or night, and not just a gentle walk sometimes it is as if he is sprinting back and forth in the cage. How often should I feed him then? 3 times a week?

A

anne-marie

At that age, I was feeding my larvae once a day. However, for the period of time you mention you are going to be away, he should be okay without food. Just feed when you get back.

G

grant

Ok thanks a lot, I'll just feed him before I leave and right when I get back. And by the way I have a small aquarium and I'm going to be putting it to use to house feeder guppies and I will quarantine them for 30 days (like 3 dozen at a time) and I will feed him a few every week when they are done. He REALLY likes hunting for them and stuff and he gets a lot of exercise when he's getting them!

andrew

Reaction score
Will quarantining guppies for a while work to weed out the ones with disease? Will they just die? Thanks

J

joan

they can harbor parasites and nasties that don't necessarily harm them, but can harm your axolotl. I wouldn't do it.

Waxworms are really fatty and should only be fed as a treat. Mine get waxworms maybe once a month. and 6 inches of worms for a 5 inch axolotl is too much. They will definately overfeed. Usually they 'throw up' the food as a bolus, which can foul your water quickly.

G

grant

Mine hasn't done that and where are the 6 inches of worm from? I feed him 2 inches of worm a day. And, he gets maybe 2 or 3 waxworms a week (not whole waxworms only half).

J

joan

You said you feed him 2 inches of worm 3 times a day. That's 6" of worm. Either way, feeding him once a day is plenty adequate. But I'd still not feed that many waxworms. That's a lot. The fat in them can cause problems with their liver or kidneys.

G

grant

No I said I feed him 3 times a day and the longest worm is 2 inches and I cut them almost in half because I said I cut off their "head" (the top part of the worm) which is nearly an inch. And one of those feedings is a half of a waxworm which is only every other day. So all that adds up to MAYBE 2 and a half inches of worm a day (when I feed waxworms). Here is the post where I explained it you must have missed it:
"I heard that they don't overfeed? The worms he eats are very small though, the biggest is maybe 2 inches long and very thin plus I cut off their "head part" so they don't fight as much (he eats them better and easier that way) and whenever I feed him in the afternoon its only half of a wax worm (only every other day) so if you know how small a wax worm is thats only a few centimeters worth of worm. Should I feed him 3 times a week then? and how much in each "feeding"?"

andrew

Reaction score
I dont think your overfeeding him, worms are pretty thin.

Have you tried feeding him more but in only one feeding per day?

When my axies are full they either wont eat anymore or they will just spit the last bit back up, which doesn't happen often (i normally run out of food).

You are right alot of people are against feeding their axies guppies. But so long as precautions are taken i cant see too much harm being done.

Especially if your guppies are being bred in captivity. Maybee treat them with anti paracitic medication a month or so before feeding them to your axie.

I think back when my axies were the sise of yours i was still feeding everyday. now i feed either every other or every three days.

Oh and just out of interest does anyone know of anyone who's axie managed to contract parasites? And if so what are the symptoms in axies?

(Message edited by Andrew_82 on October 12, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1