Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

WI Press: Unamphibious amphibian {Excerpt}

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
HOLMAN COURIER (West Salem, Wisconsin) 12 May 08 Ridgerunner Reports: Egret offers good reminder -- time to go fishing (Jim Solberg) {Excerpt}
Unamphibious amphibian
On one lucky day in April, I got a call from Mike Bogard at the U.S. Geological Survey’s Upper Midwest Environmental Sciences Center in La Crosse and from Bryan Kostuch, a friend from Sparta, both telling me that they had a mudpuppy for me to photograph. I had wanted to see an adult mudpuppy for years so that was a very happy coincidence.
Bogard was preparing to use some of the creatures for testing a pesticide that is supposed to be toxic only to lamprey eels. Kostuch had caught one while fishing in the Wisconsin River for walleyes. He told me many anglers who caught them there frequently mostly feared and hated them.
Mudpuppies are rather odd-looking amphibians. They are large permanently aquatic salamanders with four legs, a finned tail, slimy dark brown or gray blotched skin and prominent red feathery gills behind the head.
They differ from most other amphibians. The name Amphibia means that most species go through an aquatic larval stage and change into a land dwelling, air breathing adult stage.
The mudpuppy however stays in the water its whole life. They lay their eggs in a sac suspended from a rock or some other underwater cavity. The adults retain some larval characteristics, especially the prominent gills. They feed on crayfish, insects, snails and small fish and can be found throughout the state.
http://www.holmencourier.com/articles/2008/05/12/features/00ridgerunner.txt

digger

Reaction score
Do you know i think one of my favorite thing about coming to this site is actully reading your little exceprts,
thank you again.

dane_zu

Reaction score
hmm, something from my neck of the woods! I actually just learned of a place to look for mudpuppies that isn't a long drive, so Ill get out there eventually and take some pics of em!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!