Accidentally swallowed a rock... =(

queenielauren1

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey guys...

My axolotl.. Cruise is 4months old in a few days.... and he is... 15cm long from nose to end of tail... and, 3 or 4 days ago, he accidentally ate a rock! I have pretty big rocks, because ive heard its not good for them to eat them.... yet... somehow he managed.

Im pretty sure i can see the rock in his gut, He is white, and the rock is blue... but im not 100% sure, it may be his actual stomach im seeing? .... I did see him actually swallow the rock though.

So.... do you guys think he might pass it? What should i do to help him? Will he live with the rock there until he is big enough to pass it? Does anyone know about the internal structure of an axolotl and just how well it will take to this rock passing through?

The rock.. is... maybe 1cm round... ? Reasonably round too.. not really flat. Any help would be really amazing.

Really dont wanna lose my little guy.

Thanks..

I think this is on the borderline of maybe it would pass it or maybe it would need to be taken to a vet to have it removed. In the meantime, I would fridge it to buy you and the axie some more time for other people to give your their insight.

I would recommend you bring it to a vet. From the sounds of it, it is unlikely to be able to pass it out without significant trauma. Cloacal prolapse can occur as a complication. Axies can swallow surprisingly large pebbles so its best to use either sand or keep the tank bare bottomed. Keep it fridged until the vet appointment.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back