Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Swapping substrate

aidenmoore

Reaction score
Hey
This is my first post, I've been reading this forum for a while now.
I noticed my axolotl had some gravel in its mouth (i thought it would still be ok with gravel as its about 5inches in length) and when I went and turned the light on he spat alot of it out so I don't know if he ate any. Any possible health implications/things I can do?

I am going to go and buy some playsand tomorrow and swap it over to be safe. How easy is it to swap over - can I just hold the axie in another container whilst I swap the substrate over and put him back in or will it cause to much of a change to the water?

Also, whats the easiest way to rinse playsand?

Thanks!

FX1C

Reaction score
Hi & welcome :)

Any gravel ingested can potentially cause problems - removing it is a priority!

Keep you axolotl in a tub with fresh dechlorinated water while you make the tank safe.

To rinse the sand put 1/3 bucket of sand under the outside tap & turn on the water fast so it stirs up the sand - let it get nearly to the top then pour off the cloudy water - repeat, repeat repeat even after it seems clear rinse again :)

Before you add the sand
~TURN OFF THE FILTER!~
Then with the rinsed wet sand (once you've removed all the gravel) place it in a cup or container & slowly lower it into the tank water until you're near the bottom then slowly pour out the sand - take it slow & you avoid getting too cloudy (some cloudy is unavoidable) then leave it to settle for a couple if hours - turn filter back on - use your judgement as to how cloudy it is & if should put your axolotl back in or wait a day.

Hope this helps :)

<3 >o_o< <3

aidenmoore

Reaction score
That's great thanks. Is play-sand ok to use? I've heard I can use builders kiln dried sand as well, just wondering whats the best!

Thanks!

FX1C

Reaction score
Playsand seems to be the most recommended - using anything else can mess with Ph. Playsand is pretty neutral.

<3 >o_o< <3

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I got play sand the other day and HIGHLY recommend it :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!