Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: I cannot tell if these are eggs or not!

ky4nn4

Reaction score
Hey guys!
So I've recently put my two axies together in a large 40 gallon breeder tank, and I had noticed before that my leucistic's cloaca region was getting rather large.
Then one day I saw two white, round objects floating in the tank that really resembled eggs. Up until that day I believed she was actually a he. I wanted to know if female cloaca regions get larger before mating season?
Now back to my main question, I'm not entirely sure of the sexes of my axolotls because they just keep surprising me everyday.
But today, I noticed these weird white things in their tank!

Are these eggs?
There is only several of them and they are all scattered around the tank, encased in some weird transparent film.

tumblr_mlkqmiATdK1qa9qwgo1_400.png

tumblr_mlkqsqJOVT1qa9qwgo1_500.png

ky4nn4

Reaction score
Hey Katie, thanks so much for your reply.
I thought eggs had a gelatinous sphere-like film surrounding them, but this film just seems to be holding the "egg" down to the sand. The white part of the "egg" is also not round, it's kind of half-moon shaped. Could it be me female releasing all her old eggs preparing for a new batch for my male to fertilize?
Should I remove them and put them into a fry tank yet to see what happens?

nephiarising

Reaction score
All my little egglets look like those half moons when they're four or five days old, so they definitely could be! I'd be willing to say that they are indeed.

RenitaO

Reaction score
I've read the rest of the discussion and it definitely sounds like those are eggs. Perhaps there are more eggs hidden somewhere? Usually when my axies lay eggs they are everywhere.

It is safe to move the eggs, breeders often either move the parents or move the eggs after they are laid. Plus, if your eggs are already half moon shapes, they'll be hatching in a week or so. It would be best to move them, in that case. The jelly around them helps protect the egg, so you can pick them up. If they're attached to something, like a plant or rock, just gently scrape them off as far from the egg as possible. That jelly layer will protect them even then.

ky4nn4

Reaction score
I appreciate all the feedback from everyone!
I just went back to remove all the eggs and put them into a fry tank,
only to find a single egg left. I think they got eaten :(

ky4nn4

Reaction score
Oh my goodness guys! I just realized the pictures I posted earlier are sperm sacks!
The actual eggs are being laid as we speak!

Heres a pic!
tumblr_mlntdv4Hi11qa9qwgo1_500.png

racheljritchie

Reaction score
Exciting :D Mine had her first clutch of eggs 3-4 weeks ago and i was soooo excited

How many has she laid or is she still going?

layna

Reaction score
Hahaha this post made me giggle, i was like "what if its sperm and shes collecting it, shes going to be dissapointed" then it was! hehehe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1