Question: Axo hatchlings, how much should I sell them for.

ky4nn4

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So I have about 300 hatchlings about 2 weeks old, I don't plan on selling any until they at least have their front legs/ taking bloodworms well.
How much does one usually sell these for at this stage? I've found a guy on kijiji selling them for $10/each but I don't know if thats too expensive or cheap.
Just a question, thanks.

I sold mine 20$ each but if you bought more then one i went cheaper. I probably could of gotten more because there is 0market for them here but i really just wanted my money back from raising them i wasnt looking for amy profit. Its up to you but i think the older they get the more you should charge. I sold 6week old juvies thay had their back legs in for 20$ though most bought 4+ so i went to 10$

I think in ontario you have a bigger market for them so you are in competition with other people so i would try to stay reasonable, not so low that you are losing money but not so high that nobody wants to pay the price.

Thanks so much! Yeah there's tons in ontario! I think when they're 5'' I'm going to sell them for $50-$60. Everyone else sells them for $60-$100 here, and they're not direct from breeder!
I wonder if anyone is strictly an axolotl breeder for their career. There's a lot of money involved in such if you do it correctly!

Ive seen a lot of axolotl breeders and when you are breeding intentionally they do spend the money to have a sophisticated drip and filter system for the tubs to keep the workload down big time! Its actually pretty cool to see some systems. If you can eliminate over half the water changes then you have so much less work to do! And im sure they spend the money for have a very efficient and reliable food source as well. Once you have the perfect setup then its all uphill from there

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back