Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New tank ideas

HappyFace

Reaction score
So I'm setting up a tank for an axolotl for the first time. I've been researching and reading for about a year. Anyone have any comments on these ideas? I'm planning to have one axolotl.

Already done:
10 gallon tank has been cycling for about 2 months with two small goldfish and a HOB marineland penguin mini filter with bio wheel. It has playground sand, a hiding cave and two plastic plants. It is covered and has a basic light. It has to be upstairs in my house and with ambient temperatures, it gets up to 74 degrees F in the summer.

Ideas for changes before I bring home the axolotl:

* Replace sand (such a mess and hard to clean) with large glass pebbles (1-1.5 inch diameter) or a few larger river rocks with no substrate. The down side to this change is that this will give less biological filtration because less surface area for good stuff to grow on.

* I just purchased a small chiller that operates through a basic-looking empty HOB filter housing. It is called Coolworks microchiller and temperature controller http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idProduct=CW1131. Maybe attach a piece of sponge filter to the housing output waterfall. This will help biological filtration and cut down on water flow. I'm not sure how to attach it. String through the middle sponge filter cavity maybe?

* Remove my existing HOB marineland filter and put a sponge filter around the intake of the chiller's intake. This will also help with biological filtration and protect gills.

* If I remove the existing filter and start up the new sponge filter system, I probably need to cycle the tank again, right? But maybe not for so long.

* Using a small aquarium nylon bag, make a bag of Marineland Diamond Blend Ammonia Neutralizing Carbon pebbles to place in the empty filter housing. Amazon.com : Marineland PA0392 Diamond Blend Activated Carbon/Ammonia Neutralizing Crystals, 50-Ounce, 1417-Gram : Aquarium Filter Accessories : Pet Supplies

* Remove fish?

Thanks for any comments! :love:

keiko

Reaction score
Congrats on your future axie. Good that you've been studying about them, not a lot of people take the time to do that.

I'd say forget the glass pebbles. You'd be surprised what axies can fit in their mouths so I wouldn't risk it. Big rocks would be fine, but a lot of uneaten food, wastes and other debris will accumulate between them so you have to clean it often. If you don't want sand but want some kind of substrate I'd suggest siliconing some sand at the bottom of the tank and then adding a few big rocks for decoration. Some rock slates would work too.

If you change the filter media you will have to cycle the tank again. But if you can put some of the old media in the new filter or even just put it in the tank for a while then it'll be a lot faster. And you don't really need any ammonia neutralizing carbon pebbles, just good biological filtration will do it.

What do you mean by basic light? Axies usually don't like bright light, so make sure it's not too bright. Some people don't have an aquarium light at all.

And definitely remove the fish before adding axies. They would either be eaten or could injure the axie if they're bigger.
Have you been testing the water while cycling with the fish? What are the water parameters?

HappyFace

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. It is so amazing to be able to talk to a community of people who care and are experienced.

I'm going to get my water tested this weekend and I'll reply with the results.

The light is a 15 watt fluorescent. I won't use it much, don't worry, but sometimes we may need it to see what's going on in there or take a photo.

Would an axolotl feed near the top? I was thinking of getting one of those cone feeders for live bloodworms.

You gave me an idea about using aquarium sealant to glue stuff down. I'm going to try to make a cool bottom that looks like sand and rocks but is solid. I'll post a picture when it is set up.

I had another thought... what if I got two juveniles now in a 10 gallon tank and then upgraded to a 20 gallon tank before they are fully grown? At what age would I need to give them the extra space of 20 gallons?

Getting pretty exciting around here!

keiko

Reaction score
Would an axolotl feed near the top?

They feed at the bottom where they spend most of their time. Only one of mine will swim to the top for food and that's probably just because she's a pig and wants to eat all the time. :D

what if I got two juveniles now in a 10 gallon tank and then upgraded to a 20 gallon tank before they are fully grown? At what age would I need to give them the extra space of 20 gallons?

They would be ok for a few months depending on their size when you get them. They grow very fast though, my big guy is 9 months and around 11 inches. If you're going to get a bigger tank then I'd suggest going even bigger than 20 gallons. 10 gallons per axie is usually said to be the minimum but it is still very small when you think about putting a 12 inch axie in there. In my experience there is no such thing as too big tank, they'll use all the space you give them.

RupertxGiles

Reaction score
They feed at the bottom where they spend most of their time. Only one of mine will swim to the top for food and that's probably just because she's a pig and wants to eat all the time. :D

They would be ok for a few months depending on their size when you get them. They grow very fast though, my big guy is 9 months and around 11 inches. If you're going to get a bigger tank then I'd suggest going even bigger than 20 gallons. 10 gallons per axie is usually said to be the minimum but it is still very small when you think about putting a 12 inch axie in there. In my experience there is no such thing as too big tank, they'll use all the space you give them.

Agreed, i have 2 of my adults in a 29 and it seems too cramped. They are soon getting an upgrade.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!