Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sand??

sydneysvoboda

Reaction score
Hello, I went out to Petco the other day to buy substrate for my aquarium. The only sand they really had was their Petco sand. I returned home with it but am now realizing it looks kind of big. Should I purchase new sand or will my axolotls be okay with that? I just don't want them to swallow it and get hurt.

jamessamlev

Reaction score
If its play sand it should be ok but it has to be sand not really small rock/gravel

allied123

Reaction score
I have petco brand sand that works fine for me and I think I've heard about other users here using it but I like it, you can see the grains though, they aren't like microscopic but I don't think it's a concern as long as the axolotl is big enough (larger than 4-5 inches I think, mine are both around 9-10 inches but eat out of a feeding bowl to avoid ingestion as much as possible) the sand seems pretty soft and smooth

blushed

Reaction score
I have petco brand sand that works fine for me and I think I've heard about other users here using it but I like it, you can see the grains though, they aren't like microscopic but I don't think it's a concern as long as the axolotl is big enough (larger than 4-5 inches I think, mine are both around 9-10 inches but eat out of a feeding bowl to avoid ingestion as much as possible) the sand seems pretty soft and smooth

I use petco sand. They are larger grain, even than what I originally wanted, but I really wanted white sand, so I went with it.

I also use a feeding bowl!

I've had no problems with the sand and I run my fingers through it every other water change since it is bigger and it's not hard/scratchy at all.

It seems to be heavier and doesn't "stir up" like normal sand as well, so I think that's a plus for our filters!

Creepella

Reaction score
I use playground sand which I buy from building supply stores. It's a lot cheaper than pet shop sand and doesn't affect water quality. It's not dusty, but I still rinse it in a bucket for half an hour before using it. I use it for fish tanks, desert creatures (scorpions, bearded dragons etc.) and I use it to make cactus soil.

Advantages - it's fine and soft and doesn't get stirred up too much when I change tank water. Disadvantage (for some people) - it's a plain beige colour, so if you want colour in your decor you have to use rocks, plants etc.

Note: I read that the pet shop sand used for marine tanks is a no-no. It contains a lot of calcium and other elements that change the water quality/pH. I've read similar about sands used for reptiles.

Icyriah

Reaction score
I use playground sand which I buy from building supply stores. It's a lot cheaper than pet shop sand and doesn't affect water quality. It's not dusty, but I still rinse it in a bucket for half an hour before using it. I use it for fish tanks, desert creatures (scorpions, bearded dragons etc.) and I use it to make cactus soil.

Advantages - it's fine and soft and doesn't get stirred up too much when I change tank water. Disadvantage (for some people) - it's a plain beige colour, so if you want colour in your decor you have to use rocks, plants etc.

Note: I read that the pet shop sand used for marine tanks is a no-no. It contains a lot of calcium and other elements that change the water quality/pH. I've read similar about sands used for reptiles.
The sand used for reptiles is usually marketed as 'calcium sand', saying that if it ends up eating it, that the calcium in it will be good for it. Since it's man made, it's more cube shaped and will cause impaction in reptiles. And I know what sand they're talking about, but it isn't sold as marine sand, just general sand for aquariums. Doesn't say anything otherwise on the package... Hopefully it's okay, because that's what I bought! Not open yet, so I can still return it haha!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!