Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strange growth on underbelly.

ajbriggs

Reaction score
Hi I have had an axolotl for about a month now and realised as soon as I set up his tank that there was a strange growth on his under belly.

I posted a question on here and was asked to provide pictures. So here they are. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC01022.jpg
    DSC01022.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 529
  • DSC01023.jpg
    DSC01023.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 413
  • DSC01024.jpg
    DSC01024.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 419

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Briggsy,

Based on the photos, the lump is definitely pathological. It would require veterinary intervention. I would recommend you bring it to your vet for diagnostic testing. A fine needle aspirate can be performed to obtain a small sample of cells and tissue for staining and microscopy. That can help deduce what the lump is and the best course of treatment.

The differentials include abscess (bacterial infection), granuloma (excessive tissue repair due to foreign body), keloid (tissue scarring, overt tissue regeneration), neoplasia (abnormal benign cell growth or cancer) or less likely a herniation (internal organs or tissue pushing out).

As there are so many possibilities, having the lump tested is definitely needed. Appropriate medical or surgical therapy can then be decided.

Cheers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!