Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I think I just bought a Piebald!

Aussieboy

Reaction score
I saw this strangely marked axolotl a few days ago in the petshop and decided to go back in today as I heard that his coloring (from my previous post) could be quite rare! Well he was still in there so I bought him home along with his "girlfriend" and three of their Larvae, The petstore advised me that they have spawned three times in the last few months).

Tell me what you guys think! I think he's awesome even if he isn't rare but if he is that would be pretty cool too!

**I realise they should not be on gravel at all and advised the pet store so they could take it out before they received their next batch of axolotls.

Aussieboy

Reaction score
If you look closely he also has a very small white patch on his stomach and a gold spot on his snout.

The Banana

Reaction score
Well this sounds almost too good to be true! I can't see any photos posted, but hopefully it is!
If he isn't, I'm sure that you'll love him just as much, and provide a loving home.

Aussieboy

Reaction score
these are the pics

Attachments

• IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_0719.jpg
    IMG_0719.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_0717.jpg
    IMG_0717.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 639

Aussieboy

Reaction score
The second and third pic are when he was in the petshop. I also bought the female :) They are not on gravel anymore lol Let me know what you guys think!

iChris

Reaction score
by the looks of it, your new axie is probably full of gravel.

don't forget to quarantine your new axie, and perhaps do this in a tank or tub with no substrate at all so you can monitor what it passes.

The Banana

Reaction score
Congrats on the lovely axie, he is gorgeous - although I would say just a pretty wildtype, rather than piebald.

Good advice from Chris, hopefully he'll pass any pieces through OK. Good luck!

Aussieboy

Reaction score
Hi Chris, yeah I'm a bit worried about the gravel actually, I have him and the female quarantined and hopefully any gravel will pass without any troubles.

My other female passed some gravel a few days after I had her but nothing has come since. Still waiting on the spawning but hopefully soon!

Aussieboy

Reaction score
Will he throw similar coloured larvae? I would like to experiment with colours if the black was some form of gene or something that would throw back?

iChris

Reaction score
good idea. it can almost be guaranteed when they come from a tank with gravel that they are carrying some in their gut.

as for spewing, they will start when they are mature and when you keep them happy and then they won't stop!

The Banana

Reaction score
Also bare in mind that it is best not to let them spawn more than twice per yearly, as it is stressful on their adorable bodies, and can/will shorten their lifespan.

Oh, and more piccies, please.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!