Question: What color is my axie? Could I have a piebald?

meerkat

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,

I have a lovely white male who has coloration on his head. Does this make him a piebald? Also I purchased a juvenile axie who is a light brown coloration with flex of gold. Is this a harlequin? I am not a fan of the gold coloring, however to have a beautiful mix was one that I could not resist purchasing. I have attached photos to see if I am jumping the gun. I have baby axies at one month old at the moment a mix of the white male pictured here and a black female. So far I have half and half white and dark. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Attachments

• 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 2,036
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,077
I have no idea if he is a piebald(I dont think he is tho) but he has the cutest freckles on his face:D.

Your first axolotl is a leucistic. Sometimes they stay white and othertimes you start seeing dark spots and in extreme cases the whole face become black. Your second axolotl looks very interesting to me. Looks like a leucistic with spots of gold. Could you post a clearere pic if possible? Nice axolotls by the way.

Regards Neil

You will need to rely on the awesome ability of my iphone to take these photos :p In the right light you will see all the flex of gold around his gills. These colorations also continue down his body. He is so very very pretty.

Attachments

• 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,009
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 695
Looks like a "copper" with added gold. Very nice and unusual axolotl. I'm assuming the pic taken of him at the top of the page was taken quite a while ago? I''ve got some babies that started off looking like leucistics and then suddenly put on a lot of colour.

Regards Neil

Last edited:
I like the idea of a copper/gold color combo. The photos at the top were taken in the morning while he was in the main tank. I then put him in a little tupperware container in order to take a better photo. Tricky thing is that you have to get him in the right light and right angle to see the gold splotches.

I am sure that so many other axie owners here will attest to, that when I was in an aquarium store and saw him and his coloring I could not leave him there in the shop and so he came home with me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back