Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Are axolotls social?

UKMarch

Reaction score
Hi my daughter would like an axolotl so we are researching thoroughly before diving in but I have read contrasting advice. Was thinking of a 60x30x30 to start with one but have read that axolotls are social and above 6" should be with others is this something you find as on other reading it seems to suggest that unless the tank is large they would do damage to each other. Also how long would an ideal travel time be as not sure where to source one?

esn

Reaction score
Re: Ae axolotls social?

No, they do not "like" company in the sense that they make friends or appreciate each others existence. You may keep axolotls together, but they do not get enjoyment out of it. If they are of the right age/size, they have enough space, and are fed often enough, they should not be taking chunks out of each other.

You can most likely overnight one from a member on here through the mail. Post in the wanted section, or look at the for sale ads. They go through the mail pretty easily.

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score

Axolotls can live just as happily alone as they can with company. Over crowding and not getting enough food can cause mishaps but it's not generally out of aggression. They have poor eyesight so anything wiggling in front of their face will be seen as a food source - too small a tank will cause the axolotls to be in close proximity of each other making nipping much more likely. I feel a good rule to go by when researching how big a tank is needed is there should be at least a foot of space for each axolotl. For example, 3 axolotls will do well in a 4 foot tank. Bearing in mind you will have plants and hides in the tank aswell so some of the space will be otherwise occupied.

Olivia97

Reaction score

I beg to differ with the "they don't get enjoyment out of it" my three are lost without eachother, but in answer to your question. a 2 foot tank (long not high) his fine for 2 axies :)

UKMarch

Reaction score

Thanks everyone wow I didn't realise you could send them in the post! I just presumed a short a journey as possible would be preferable! Might mean more options as haven't seen any available locally recently so a couple of hours drive wouldn't be a disaster.

Chugga

Reaction score

I beg to differ with the "they don't get enjoyment out of it" my three are lost without eachother, but in answer to your question. a 2 foot tank (long not high) his fine for 2 axies :)

Mine become stressed if separated. Scientific research will be based around general characteristics within the species - it doesn't mean that none are social. That doesn't mean the exceptions aren't valid. The same applies to humans - while we are regarded as a "social species" it doesnt follow that all individuals within the species are actually social.

A major flaw in animal research is that it is greatly limited due to our ability to "step outside human consciousness" - theory of the mind, where it exists, generally doesnt extend beyond our own species and even then is usually limited eg within the bounds of ones own culture and beliefs/values. Since we can only infer and interpret within those limitations, the information available to us is, in actuality, VERY limited.

One doesnt know what one doesnt know.

Would mine be distressed by being separated if they hadnt been raised together or if there was some other variable in play? If they weren't raised together, I doubt it - but I cannot know that for certain.

Current research suggests that an axolotl kept on its own is unlikely to suffer from lack of social contact - but if there is one thing that history should alert us to about science its that what constitutes "scientific fact" has absolutely NOT proven to be set it stone - its a "best effort" with the tools and information available to us at any given point in time. There is also a massive tendency towards self-confirming bias - building upon a foundation of prior belief and interpreting information accordingly.

Given all the information available to me and being in a situation of considering whether I have 1 axolotl on its own or 2 sharing a tank, I would lean towards keeping just one. It seems less likely that any given axolotl would "suffer" in any way being raised in isolation and it seems there is a reasonably high risk that if you put any 2 random axolotls together they will not co-exist peacefully and there is greater risk of harm to 1 or both.

Just my thoughts though.

xxianxx

Reaction score

Cant say I agree with that, a larger volume tank would be much better at maintaining water quality. A three foot tank would be more suited. You need to remember that axolotls can easily hit 12", a two foot tank wouldnt give them much room.

Olivia97

Reaction score

Cant say I agree with that, a larger volume tank would be much better at maintaining water quality. A three foot tank would be more suited. You need to remember that axolotls can easily hit 12", a two foot tank wouldnt give them much room.

Funny i agree with you (Completely contradict my own points) I do have very small axies but they are in a 3 foot (3 in a 3 foot) I find it funny that they choose to sit on top of each other with all that space :p

Olivia97

Reaction score

Sorry I have no scientific studies, nor was i claiming them to be facts, as you say, merely my opinion. Some choose to have huge tanks with a few axies some chose the "foot per axie" rule, others just keep one. :) Good luck with setting up! Trust me they are addictive

Morrison

Reaction score

Mine are not social at all. They're just boring :)

Carmil07

Reaction score

Hi, I've also been on here doing lots of research on getting our first Axolotl and finding it very useful :) We've just purchased a tank in the size you mentioned Juwel Korall 60 Goldfish Aquarium
we only plan on keeping one in there though and will upsize if we get another :) There are some website that will send them out, Bluelizard, Exotic-pets, ebay are the ones I've found. I'd also try preloved and gumtree too and see if there's any local :)

UKMarch

Reaction score
Thanks that's great if they don't seem to be bothered by being along we'll start with one and see how it goes, I have been enjoying looking at everyone's pictures in the gallery. I have also bought YD a crocheted leucistic for a Christmas present which is very lovely.

tumptyteapot

Reaction score
I have 2 young axies, about 5 inches long. They alternate between taking chunks out of each other and sitting on each other. I can't quite work out the dynamics of this relationship. They are too young to sex so I don't think the sitting on each other is mating.

AxolotlWildType

Reaction score
My axolotl is pretty sociable, this is uncommon but he's getting crazy with his food so I'm cutting down.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1