Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie not eating

claraesse

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was just wondering how long it took axies to settle in before they'll eat. I've had mine since Friday and I tried to handfeed her yesterday (which is how she's been fed previously) on a bloodworm block and she panicked and swam away. I know she needs to settle in but I'm also aware that she hasn't eaten since Thursday now!

Thanks,
Clare

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
How big is it? Adults, in cool temperatures, can easily go a couple weeks without food.

Be patient. Try feeding it at dusk without turning a bunch of lights on, and without disturbing her as much as possible. Use tongs to hold the bloodworms in front of her versus sticking your whole hand in the tank.

blackdog

Reaction score
Remember in axie world, the rule of thumb is "if i am bigger than you i will probably try to eat you"

So, you are bigger than your axie right? Imagine being in a new environment, and a giant creature plunges a multi limbed appendage into your living space........ you might be led to beleive you are about to be eaten :)

Kaysie's advice is good, it's exactly what i'd recomend.

Perhaps even just leave the food on the bottom or in a feeding tray / jar. My guys have always been fed by hand, but they will happily hunt around and find food left on the tank floor too.

Bren

claraesse

Reaction score
Thanks guys. She was looking a little more relaxed yesterday so I tried dropping a couple of pellets in front of her, left her for an hour and they were gone! :D

On another newbie axie owner note - I know you're supposed to hoover any old food/poop up - she hasn't pooed yet but is it obvious when she does?

memojo1979

Reaction score
Thanks guys. She was looking a little more relaxed yesterday so I tried dropping a couple of pellets in front of her, left her for an hour and they were gone! :D

On another newbie axie owner note - I know you're supposed to hoover any old food/poop up - she hasn't pooed yet but is it obvious when she does?

If you spot-clean soon enough after s/he has pooped, it's massive (I'll add a link, to show you photo/s), but if not seen straight away, the poop starts to break down + can blend / mix in with substrate - on a barebottomed tank it can obviously still be seen, but if you have sand, it can be camoflagued. If you have gravel / pebbles, it gets hidden down in the cracks, but if that's how you set up is, you should removed the gravel / pebbles anyway, in case they get gulped down by mistake - sorry if you already know this, but it's an important point to repeat to new owners, since it's probably 1 of the worst dangers for axies :(

claraesse

Reaction score
She's got sand - I read about not having gravel. I've checked a few times since she ate yesterday and haven't seen anything obviously poop-like. I hope it hasn't broken down already :(

memojo1979

Reaction score
I very rarely see whole poop from any of my axies, but when "hoovering" with the syphon, that picks the majority up anyway. And, I do spot-cleaning every day feed time, with a turkey baster, that has a similar effect.
Don't stress ;)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Poop breaks down quickly, within hours. Like Mojo said, you'll rarely see it unless you're constantly looking. They also only poop every couple of days.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1