Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What in my water killed my Red Ruber Salamanders?

LyeLovesHerps

Reaction score
Today I preformed a routine water change on my community of 4 Psuedotriton Ruber salamanders. I did everything exactly as usual. The water has a pH of 8, is chlorine free, and was cool and clear. There was nothing noticeably different about it, yet when I returned from eating diner all but one salamander was dead. The surviving animal I found nearly dried out on the floor after it apparently escaped the enclosure. I was quite surprised to see it as the tank is glass, has nothing to climb on, and has a heavy lid. It's pretty amazing that it got out. I have had these salamanders for quite a while and none of them have ever once escaped, so I have to believe that it was associated with whatever was wrong. The other salamanders I found laying on their backs in the water, very dead. I wasn't away for very long, so whatever caused this killed them in less than an hour. I tested the water multiple times with aquarium test strips, but everything appears to be normal. The only thing I can think of is that I live in California where there is a bad drought, so maybe something toxic was stirred up in the bottom of the reservoir. Other than that, I know of nothing else that would have caused this. If you have any ideas, I would be very grateful as I don't know what to look for. I'm concerned about getting water for my other animals as well as the safety of drinking it myself.

CatSpit

Reaction score
Hi, I am so sorry about the loss of your salamanders. That's so sad.

You note you have had them for a while and did nothing different so it is confusing as to what happened this time. All I can suggest is that as any water that comes from a reservoir would be chlorinated and as your reservoir is low they may be adding more chlorine at this time. Looking at the California water information page, it seems they use both chlorine and chloramines in your water (see link). Do you use a dechlorinating water conditioner when you do water changes? I know you tested the water with test strips, they aren't as accurate as liquid test kits, but you would think they would still show if you had any trace of chlorine. So as I said, it is confusing as to what happened differently to affect your newts so tragically this time.

https://www.calwater.com/help/water-quality/chlorine/

I hope your remaining newt recovers ok.

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
In addition to what CatSpit said, are you sure that none of your water changing equipment could have been contaminated with anything? Such as any cleaning chemicals that could have come in contact with the water changing bucket or tubing?

Perhaps you could also call your local water treatment authority and ask if anything has changed in the last few days about how they process the water, or if any unusual levels of anything have been detected.

I am so sorry - it is always hard to lose an animal, but I think it is harder when it is so unexpected and multiple animals are involved. I certainly hope this is not repeated!

Best of luck,

HJ

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
What percentage of water did you change? Often during real stormy weather or drought local water chemistry changes. Extra chemicals are added to make the water appropriate for consumption.

How much dechlorinator do you normally use? Do you use anything else to treat your water?

My guess is with smaller water changes, a little more dechlorinator, and some "poly filter" in the filter the tragedy could have been averted.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1