Salamander ID

wulfgar

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm trying to get an ID on this salamander I found in central Alabama. Local guides don't list it - maybe a juvenile stage or?

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_4e75.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_4e75.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 214
I'm nearly certain that's a Eurycea larva. The snout is too squared-off and the gills are wrong for any kind of dusky, and the build and pattern are wrong for a spring or mud/red. Head shape is right for a waterdog, but everything else is wrong. A two-lined (E. cirrigera) or something in that species complex like a brownback seems possible, though the dark dorsal spots in a straight row like that would be strange. Something in the dwarf salamander complex (E. cf quadridigitata) also seems possible, though they tend to have more of a streaked pattern and I'd expect the tail keel to extend much further up the back than in the picture. To me, a three-lined (E. guttolineata) seems most likely--those dark dots look like the start of the characteristic third line. (The appearance is also similar to the long-tailed, E. longicauda, but they're at the edge of their range in far northern Alabama). A couple details that could help make a definite ID are:

• County in which you found the salamander
  • Habitat features (e.g., upland or lowland, hilly or flat, dominant trees in the area)
  • Type of aquatic environment (e.g., spring, rocky-bottom stream, silted pond next to a stream, vernal pool, swamp)

Last edited:
That looks like a Eurycea Tynerensis (Oklahoma salamander) to me, but you’re to Far East for that to be true

Thanks! I'm in Jefferson County, Alabama outside Birmingham. This is a moderately flowing, rocky to silt bottomed creek that I'm exploring. Tree lined and relatively shaded in most all areas.

More photos

Attachments

• uxrISZq7QiCXIDldmMGsNg.jpg
    uxrISZq7QiCXIDldmMGsNg.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 163
  • fullsizeoutput_4e7f.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_4e7f.jpg
    498.7 KB · Views: 149
I also found this in the same creek

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_4ec9.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_4ec9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 148
Thanks, that's helpful info! You're in range for the southern two-lined, brownback, and three-lined salamanders. The habitat looks more typical for a two-lined or brownback than a three-lined, but three-lined can be found in a pretty wide variety of habitats. To me, the adult you posted looks more like a brownback than a typical southern two-lined (many consider the brownback a subspecies or local population of southern two-lined). Some pictures of adult brownbacks show a relatively straight row of dots on the dorsum. So given all that, I'm gonna say that the larva you found is most likely a brownback salamander!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back