Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Black Substrate Recommendations??

23matt3

Reaction score
Hey all!

Looking for a substrate recommendation on the cheap side. Currently I have been using just simple pool filter sand, which is nice, cheap and easy but I am looking to change up my aquarium for a new look. My preference is black substrate. I chose black because this will house Cynops Orentalis's and I think their bellies would stand out more. My tank is heavily planted so I think the green color of the plants would stand out too. I also need something "cheapish" because this will be going into a 55 gallon aquarium, so I would need a lot of substrate to fill the tank.

I have seen Black diamond blasting sand being used in aquariums with cory catfish and other bottom dwellers with no issues but I haven't found any articles regarding newts in there so I am a bit cautious using that. It struck me only because it's only about $8 for a 50 pound bag and it's black.

Could someone recommend me something black, safe for newts, and on the cheaper side.

Thanks in advance!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!