are axies stressed by light?

linz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
linsey baxter
i read that axies are stressed by light so today i have darkened her tank by adding more floating plants and ive put black card around her tank so its dark for her, now i have just read that you can have lighting in axies tanks? im confused...

axies are stessed by to much light.
they donot have eyelids so cannot close them.
you can light your tank providing they have plenty of places to hide.
the other down side to lighting is the heat the light gives off.
i have just purchased a MOONLIGHT flourescent bulb but still only use it occassionally.
can you imagine your eyes being open 24 hours aday everyday, youd want relief aswell, so,
my advice is aslong as they can hide a couple of hours of lighting is fine just dont over doit.

When I got my first axy she hated the light and she had a plethora of hiding spaces. Over time i used the light more and more and now I run it for 10 hrs a day (heavily planted setup) and she is fine with it. So my advice is to purservere - Just make sure you have dark area in the tank.

I recently had a couple of Juveniles showing signs of stress; couldn't work out what what wrong - on advice from the forum (by "digger" I think) I found it was too much light.

So, from my experience - yes - they get stressed by too much light.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back