Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

light and influence over growth of larvae

vistajpdf

Reaction score
I have several tanks going of Chinese FBNs larvae of varying stages going roughly 3-4 weeks apart in age (and more eggs!) They are spread amongst my three sons' bedrooms. I live in S. Florida and our temps are approaching 90 these days. I have been lifting up the black-out shade which keeps the rooms dark, but not pulling the sheer white drapes aside in one of the rooms. That room doesn't get a lot of direct light as there is a balcony largely shaded by a large ficus tree outside of it. I think the larvae in there are lagging in growth. All are well, but today I did complete water changes and really noticed they were tinier than their siblings weeks younger than them. I remember someone here (Sludge Munkey?) saying that his larvae did better w/ 12 hours of light/day. Is that artificial light or should I get these more natural light? They've all grown since adding white and black worms to their diets, but I'm now curious as to the effect of light on their growth patterns. Any links I should be familiar with on this topic? I'm concerned about trading off natural light for Florida's heat...

Thanks,
Dana

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Yup, that was me alright.

I avoid natural light exposure at all costs due to the serious and uncontrollable increase in water temperature and green algae.

I use standard freshwater aquarium fluorescent tubes. I paid the extra and bought a pair of four footers to keep my electric bill down.

For the first month, I set the lamp timer to 8 on 12 off. After that first month, a Click a tab each day on the time until they are on a 12 and 12 cycle.

If there are animals I wish to breed ( my breeding tanks have individualized lighting), during the breeding prep period, I un-click one tab each day and decrease them back down to 8 and 12.

Again, this is one of those "Johnny is rambling on with unsubstantiated opinions again...;)"

But- adjusted photo-periods for spawning works for quite a few reptiles and fish. I tried it out on a whim, and it seemed to work exceedingly well for them too, triggering breeding faster and noticeable increase in development in axolotl larvae versus a control 12 and 12 tank.

vistajpdf

Reaction score
I use standard freshwater aquarium fluorescent tubes. I paid the extra and bought a pair of four footers to keep my electric bill down.

OK, got it. Are all the aquarium lights you buy standard fluorescent tubes? Mine seem to be, though I'm no expert. One goes over a hood and the other I recently bought, but in lieu of a hood, bought a wire top to decrease heat. I worried about heat emission w/ leaving the light on all of the time.

I have been having a minor issue with algae on the fish tank beside the larvae tank in on of my son's room...another piece of the puzzle!

THanks,
Dana

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Both the 4 footers and the foot long tank lights all say "GE- Aquarium" on them.

I buy them at home depot as the pet stores charge way too much for them in my opinion.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!