Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: More C. Orientalis morph questions

vistajpdf

Reaction score
I have over 20 morphs at the moment in three separate containers: a plastic shoe box type with holes drilled in the lid houses three; a 16 quart sterilite container houses 14; and a small critter keeper houses the original 4. I will be combining two of my larvae tanks that have had a lot morph and now have smaller numbers. I will be using one of their tanks as a morph tank by dividing up the container with 14 in it so as to spread them out. I worry about the more aggressive ones eating and the weaker ones not getting anything though food is plentiful in there. I haven't seen anything on the best number of morphs per space after searching.

I've used different substrates and for most of their lives, I've been using white paper towels, damp, with several areas to hide and some fake plants. I've begun each tank as a tilted tank, but gradually get rid of the water and stop tilting the container.

Food so far is springtails and flightless fruit flies. I've yet to see any eat, but the FFs are slowly disappearing so I suppose at least some are being eaten and there haven't been any morph deaths (don't want to jinx myself...) Can I try to feed them white worms? I would think this would be easier in a tank using something other than paper towels as a substrate but if I used a shallow bowl with a little of the worm's dirt, would that be at all appealing to the morphs?

Would a mossy bed be better for the morphs? I have java moss and saw that when I did a search being used. I had used coco fiber originally but someone mentioned an accident with his morph and ingesting the stuff.

I really want to see with my own eyes the morphs eat, but it hasn't happened! They seem active enough for morphs, though are often huddled together under the hides.

If you've made it this far, the main questions are the one about feeding them white worms and how many can live together in harmony.

Thanks,
Dana

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Can I try to feed them white worms? I would think this would be easier in a tank using something other than paper towels as a substrate but if I used a shallow bowl with a little of the worm's dirt, would that be at all appealing to the morphs?

I think that your method of feeding the white worms is great, and if the morphs go for it, should work well. Before I obtained my T.verrucosus, they were raised exclusively on white worms using a similar method.

vistajpdf

Reaction score
Thanks, Nathan, but I don't think they're going for them. No evidence of anything going into that shallow container, but w/ the first ones now being close to two months old, they must be eating something, hopefully? They have a plentiful supply of springtails and flightless fruit flies.

I had five more morphs between yesterday midday and tonight, so I'm really up to my elbows in morphs! Today, at the zoo in Miami, I told one of the keepers they needed some C. Orientalis. She said, "We've been wanting to add some new animals that could be in tanks in this area!" I said, "I'll be in touch..." My sons think their newts could inspire a whole "China" area in this zoo. I said, "Yes, it will be the first China exhibit inspired by newts and not a Giant Panda!"

Dana

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!