Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Can leucistics or albinos hatch out of dark eggs?

yellowpebble

Reaction score
Can the colour of the embryos change as they get older?

the mother was melanoid so the eggs are dark, but the father was light and she probably has some light genes too. Can dark embryos turn out as light axolotls after they develop, or will they all stay that dark colour?

The Banana

Reaction score
As far as I'm aware, if the mother was albino, the eggs are light....

From Axolotl.org -
Pictured to the right are four 12-hour old eggs. Note the lack of pigment - this indicates that the mother was albino. Normal eggs are dark brown (there is a picture of two at the top of this page). An albino mother will lay white, pigmentless eggs. If the offspring are not albino, pigment will appear during embryo development. The eggs take about 2 to 3 weeks to hatch. Development seems to be optimal when the eggs are attached to plants. This is due to the circulation of water around the egg, aiding gaseous exchange.

Not sure if that really fits in, but pigment can change/appear or something after hatching?

yellowpebble

Reaction score
thanks! thats for white coloured eggs turning into dark axies though, i'm wondering if dark coloured eggs can turn into light axies? Its probably similar.

Anette

Reaction score
My eggs came from melanoid parents, and all the eggs where black. As they reach the end of their development, some of the larvae where grayish, and some where lighter then others. This grayish ones turn out to be leucistic. Its been a week and half since they hatched and as they get bigger they seem to be getting lighter and lighter. The white on some of them is more obvious then on others.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1