Ambystoma tigrinum (Tiger salamander) - white spot

zazu

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi Everyone!

I have some problem with my new friend - Ambystoma tigrinum.
He has white spot / abscess / bump / lump (sorry, I do not know English word for this) since last week.
It looks similiar to teenage acne (pimple) :blush:
It is visible on attached photos near his front left leg.

He behaves normally, is active and hungry non-stop :), so I think it is not any serious disease.

Can you help me with recognising what is that?
Is it necessary to go to vet?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• +IMG_4036.jpg
    +IMG_4036.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,561
  • +IMG_4037.jpg
    +IMG_4037.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,033
Last edited:
I would recommend taking the salamander to a vet. Sores and absesses are often caused by bacteria and an antibacterial may be needed. The problem is they can spread and become a serious, even life-threatening illness.

Proper husbandry is key in preventing sores, etc. Assure that his environment, temperature, food, etc is correct. You say he is 'new' to you - husbandry may have been improper prior to your receiving him causing stress.

I don't know if you have seen these caresheets form Caudata Culture, but as a new keeper, you might want to look at them:

Caudata Culture Articles - Tiger Salamander 101

Caudata Culture Species Entry - Tiger salamander

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back