Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Why did my axolotl die? :(

nunnythebunny

Reaction score
I'm so brokenhearted, my poor axolotl died on Tuesday and I'm still trying to figure out why.
It's my first time trying to raise axolotl but I'm not new to tanks in general, after months of
researching and getting the tank ready I bought a baby axolotl on Sunday only to have it die two days
later! It broke my heart!

I did about a 25% water change before putting the axolotl in and did water tests, the nitrate was
okay and the ammonia was a little high but still okay. The pH was 7. While the axolotl was alive
I kept the tank at 75 degrees which is what the store recommended. I don't have tests for nitrite
or water hardness so I don't know about that, but I'm planning on taking in my water to the store
soon to test it. I fed it bloodworms on both nights.

I feel so terrible, can someone tell me what happened? It seemed okay and active Monday night but
Tuesday morning it was lying on its belly :((

Thank you for your help!

Alice0099

Reaction score
Hi, I am so sorry about what happened, I can recommend a few good breeders when you are ready for another. I am a new axolotl owner too but from my research I have learned anything above 72 degrees is a death sentence. It is not your fault its the store employee's. Axolotls prefer cooler water, PM me if you need those breeders names/ contact info.

qannp

Reaction score
I don't think the baby died only because of the temperetaure. 72F is warm, but it shouldn't cause death within two days. If the store gave bad advice like the temperature, they may have made other serious mistakes, too. Maybe it was sick or something.

And I'm really sorry to say that, but it isn't the store's fault alone. If you buy a pet, it's your responsibility to research in advance what it needs.

nunnythebunny, I'm really sorry for your loss. Take some time and do research, cycle the tank you already have, buy test kits and so on. Someday you will feel ready to get another axie, and you will be able to give him a great life then. :love:

Skudo09

Reaction score
Steven, I find your comment to be quite rude and disrespectful to the OP.

Nunnythebunny, the store has given some poor advice regarding temperature. But I think there may be other reasons that may have contributed to the sudden passing away of your axolotl as well as temperature. I dare say given the poor advice given, the store likely did not keep their axolotls in suitable conditions and as such your axolotl was probably already unwell and given your tank had presence of ammonia, your tank was not fully cycled. Without a nitrite test, we cannot say for certain whether the level of nitrite was at a safe level but spikes of ammonia and nitrite that occur during the cycling process may have also contributed.

I am very sorry for your loss. It is always difficult when beloved pets pass away. I hope your negative experience does not deter you to try again when you are ready to keep another axolotl. It doesn't take away the sadness of losing this axolotl but you can use this as a learning experience and make use of this forum to make sure that your tank is cycled properly and at a safe temperature before adding another axolotl and to ensure that you have reliable information. There is loads of information on this forum and lots of members who would be happy to help you out. Unfortunately pet shops and aquariums don't always (and more often than not) provide accurate advice and their advice can cause a negative impact of these animals.

nunnythebunny

Reaction score
Thank you all so much, you're all very sweet
I'm going to do some more research and I might call the store

Alice0099

Reaction score
That sounds like a good idea, we don't want anymore accidents like that to happen, and it's also a good idea to do some research, the more you know the more you can help your new axolotl.

Sweetie

Reaction score
Anything over 68 degrees (20 degrees celcius) is too warm for an axolotl. It is not your fault and you are certainly not the first person to be given dreadful advice by a local pet shop or aquarium. I am so sorry for your loss. The key is to learn from this sad incident and the main lesson is to not trust ANYTHING you are told at a pet shop. Trust Caudata and do your research before replacing your axie. But do replace your axie. They are wonderful creatures and well worth putting in the time and effort. Please do not blame yourself. You are entitled to trust what the person told you - they are meant to know what they are talking about, and perhaps, with fish, they do. But with axies, very few people know better than those on this site.

Reactions: Ami
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!