Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Constipated Axolotl

bunny18

Reaction score
I have a 8 inch long, one year old male wild type axolotl that has been constipated for some time. My fridge is way to cold to put him in there, and turning it up may ruin all our food. Does anyone have any advice/other techniques? I'm afraid to feed him because it's been about two weeks (he has produced a form of dust excrement but nothing solid). I'm really worried please help!

Astrolotl

Banned
Reaction score
if you've been fasting him for those 2 weeks he should be ok to feed now.

Astrolotl

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, fast him until he manages to pass his poo & then start feeding him again. What do you feed him, by the way?

bunny18

Reaction score
He ate about a half of a nightcrawler every other to every third day, however I've switched him to salmon pellets hoping it would help with his digestive issues. He's stopped growing, so I think I need to cut down his food/feeding schedule to accommodate. How long can axolotls handle fasting? I don't want to starve him.

Astrolotl

Banned
Reaction score
axolotls can go a week or more with out food. He won't starve as long as his body is about as wide as his head. However, if you continue to feed him while he is constipated there is a possibilty of death from intestinal obstruction or other complications.

I asked what his food was just to make sure you weren't feeding him feeder goldfish/guppies or mealworms. Fasting wouldn't fix it in that case.

But yeah just fast him until he poops and he should be good to go! If it takes longer than a week or you see his over all health decline I would start considering finding a vet.

bunny18

Reaction score
Okay thank you, I've been really worried. He seems fine, a little stressed occasionally but his health seems relatively normal despite his constipation. He's been producing a dust kind of excrement that I'm unsure of how to tank...I'm not sure if it's healthy or not?

Astrolotl

Banned
Reaction score
I think that's pretty normal. Their poo actually has that dusty look if you break the membrane that its in. Sometimes they break it and then it goes everywhere. I wouldn't worry about the consistency of his poop unless it turns white and stringy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!