Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What are the best types of lights for an axolotl tank?

Reaction score
I know that axolotls need cool temperatures, and are light sensitive. With that in mind, what are the best types of lights for their tanks? Do you prefer LED, flourescent, or just the natural/room lighting? Which lighting is best for live plants? Which is kless likely to raise the tempature or hurt their eyes?:confused:

Sorry for so many questions, this is my first time keeping an axie and I want to make sure I do everything I can to make it a positive experience for both me and the axie ;)

bellyache

Reaction score
i never use lights or recommend their use. as axoltls dont have eyelids the bright light stresses them. natural light is best

LSuzuki

Reaction score
LED lights will raise the temperature the least. if you want to have plants with axolotls, your best bet is to go with very-low-light plants, so that you can minimize the lights.

I have this kind of light. Freshwater Saltwater Reef Aquarium LED Lighting System | Marineland One of the nice things about them is that you can aim the light, so H have it aimed at the back of the tank. This leaves the bottom darker. And if I want to take a close look at the axies, I can aim it down.

NaterPotater

Reaction score
The light from the room is enough. It's generally best not to have an actual tank light for axolotls. Fish don't have eyelids either actually... no one seems to mind bright lights for them. Anyway. Room light is enough that you can see them and certain plants like Anubias, Java Fern, Amazon Sword, etc. should do fine with just room light.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
A low watt bulb is fine, its just down to you to create a proper habitat with coverage. Enough plants and clever aqua scaping making caves, various hides, and shaded areas can create a perfect environment, you can also buy floating plants to minimize the light from above.

big a little a

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Ooh, a thread specifically about lights!

I was thinking about getting an LED bubble stone like this (my axie likes to have bubbles/water pressure in one spot of the tank - strange, I know) - but I'm unsure if the light from one of those would be sufficient for anything to grow - and if my memory serves me correct, for photosynthesis, does the light not need to come from above?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 5,847

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
I have no experience with this LED bubble stone, but I do not think it is the correct type of light to benefit photosynthesis, and like you say it would be coming from an angle, plants grow towards the light, which is usually why lights are placed above.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1