Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Redworms for axolotl?

Kizu

Reaction score
So I've been trying to set up an earthworm farm for my two axies but it's failed 3 times, mostly because I wasn't able to get enough worms into the farm and these buggers get hungry! so they can't reproduce as fast I guess.

While looking to buy live worms it seems the most sold type of worm here is the Californian Redworm (Eisenia Foetida), would this be as good as plain earthworms for an axolotl? I can try to keep two farms (earthworms and redworms) so I can feed them redworms while the earthworm farms grows large enough, and then alternate between those two.

tipnatee

Reaction score
Red worms , you mean red wiggler worms? I always thought of them as an earth worm also as any other Nightcrawler.

Kizu

Reaction score
Yes, red wigglers, I've seen in these forums various post about some axies don't liking them or them being toxic

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Red wigglers are different from nightcrawlers. Newts supposedly do not like the taste, but they can be taught to eat them. Nightcrawlers have a life cycle such that you cannot breed them in your basement, as you can with red wigglers.

I work in a prison, and I can attest to the fact that creatures will get used the the most distasteful of foods, if given no choice. But is that the way you want to treat your pets?

Holly12

Reaction score
I started a red wiggler colony for my axie. I have read that if you rinse them before feeding, it helps get the nasty tasting slime off and they eat them.

tipnatee

Reaction score
Red wigglers are different from nightcrawlers. Newts supposedly do not like the taste, but they can be taught to eat them. Nightcrawlers have a life cycle such that you cannot breed them in your basement, as you can with red wigglers.

I work in a prison, and I can attest to the fact that creatures will get used the the most distasteful of foods, if given no choice. But is that the way you want to treat your pets?

For a long time I thought I was wrong about red wiggler since lots of people seems to like it , yet I haven't been very supportive about feeding it to axie as much. my Nightcrawler batch I bought sometime had a few red wiggler in them I usually pick them out. It's good to know that my action aren't all so bad. And I wasn't the only one that think red wiggler taste bad for axie although the I never taste it my self so I couldn't prove it :eek:

Niels D

Reaction score
I'm feeding a lot of D.veneta, because they're in my compost heap. They're not tasty as well, so I soak them in water for a few hours before feeding, which seem to work.

Kizu

Reaction score
I've finally bought red wigglers, but at the same time I've also found a local earthworm seller, I'll just keep the wigglers as a back up in case I run out of earthworms.

Holly12

Reaction score
I'm feeding a lot of D.veneta, because they're in my compost heap. They're not tasty as well, so I soak them in water for a few hours before feeding, which seem to work.

Are they still alive after you soak them? With my night crawlers, I just soak and feed. How long do you soak the wigglers? I have a colony I'm waiting to grow so I can use them as feeders. I hope that wasn't a waste....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!