Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Best conditions for raising spotted salamander eggs?

Sneersh

Reaction score
I recently acquired two masses of spotted salamander eggs that were salvaged before a nearby vernal pool was destroyed. The eggs are currently outside sitting in a plastic tub in about 5 gallons of water. I was wondering what the best temperature is for raising them. The current water temperature is about 60 degrees during the day and as low as 40 at night. Is this too much fluctuation? If I were to bring them inside, the water temperature would be consistently in the low 70s, but I'm worried about fungal growth. Also, how deep should the water be, and how long will they take to hatch at these temperatures? If you have any other tips I'd be grateful.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I keep mine in an unheated shed, by the window. The temperatures are roughly the same . at them moment. I have mine in a tub with a depth of maybe 4'' water. This has free floating pond plants and snails, I also like to have a few beech or oak leaves in as they can help prevent fungus. The water came from the adult's water section and I added pond water, this is because it should hold some micro food for when they hatch. I find development very slow and you'll find they hatch over a long period of time. Bringing them into a warmer room will speed development. When the larvae hatch you will need a good supply of micro food. I like to use micro worm, very small daphnia and at a push freshly hatched brine shrimp.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1