Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Sick Axolotl throwing up?!

KandyClueless

Reaction score
Hey Guys! i'm new so i hope I'm posting this in the correct area. i have an axolotl who is about 4.5-5 inches long. I bought her as a juvenile 3 months ago. She gets about .5-1 earthworms a day (depending on size of worm.) Two days ago i found that she had thrown up all of yesterdays food. Ive tried feeding her for the past couple days but she doesn't seem to be interested. She has lost a bit of weight as well. Her gills don't show any signs of stress and i don't see any abnormal splotches on her. Also, the water parameters were fine when i tested them. Any ideas?? thank you!!

Sufia

Reaction score
Perhaps the worms were too big and/or she wasn't hungry at the time? Also, what is the temperature in the tank? This could have effect on an axolotl's appetite. It might also worthwhile trying bloodworms given the size of your axolotl.

Re: the weight loss - if the widest part of her body is approximately the width of her head then I don't believe you have much to be concerned about.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!