Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello! Just got a sally :)

Zebrafinch

Reaction score
Hello! I am new to this site and am looking forward to learning more about taking care of my salamander. I m from Minnesota and have already had two tiger salamanders my family rescued from a pool filter.

I recently found a little blue-spotted salamander and would love to keep him as a pet. Any tips on them would be greatly appreciated as I still need to put a terrarium together for him. I have an enclosed one and will probably use pine chips as a substrate. I have peat moss as well and so far the stuff I have given him he is enjoying hiding in.

I have already gotten crickets and mealworms as well as a calcium/supplement dust. Any tips would be awesome :)

Herpin Man

Reaction score
I keep blue spots myself, and can offer some suggestions.
First, don't use pine shavings. Salamanders have delicate skin, and in my opinion, pine chips or shavings is an inappropriate and dangerous substrate.
I use garden soil without fertilizer. I have peat moss mixed in. I have lots of plants, leaves, bark, etc for them to hide under. They also have a water dish, but I have never seen them use it. A tight fitting lid is a must.
I feed them small earthworms, crickets, and isopods. I mist their enclosure at night, drop in the prey items, and leave them alone.
So here are a few cardinal rules, which would also apply to most other salamanders:
- keep them cool
- keep them moist
- provide lots of hiding places
- provide lots of tiny prey
- only handle when absolutely necessary

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1