Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Babies Dying

aw273

Reaction score
I apologize, I'm new to this website and not sure where to post this. But I was wondering if anyone can help me, to tell me what I'm doing wrong.
Let me start off by saying that these are first clutch axolotls- I started with 260 completely healthy babies. Raised them to 3 1/2 weeks with no problems, then randomly started having die offs. It started out with a small amount. Maybe 4 a day- then became handfuls. I hatch baby brine shrimp daily, clean everything with hot water, had the babies separated in 7 different tubs (and one glass tank), cleaned water daily, temperature is consistent and below 65.. I'm not sure what has caused it. After all the die offs I even tried switching water and containers, it has made no difference.
This started 3 days ago, the babies seem to be shrinking- which is confusing because they have full orange bellies, I can see them eating. Also, it seems like right before they die their tails point upwards.
I am down to 30 babies. Please any suggestions or help is welcomed. The only ideas I have is bacterial or they weren't meant to make it because they were first clutch.

Leedle3dle

Reaction score
When I raised mine some died, I had a massive die off when I added a new tub and I think it was because the bin was probably toxic even after I had cleaned it many times and left it outside for a month. So I doubt this helps but maybe it will.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Sorry this is happening. I haven't raised babies so may not be much help, but are you making sure to dechlorinate the water and changing it daily?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1