Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Herping in SW Washington

HendersonA

Reaction score
Hey,

Does anyone have an recommendations for places to herp near Portland, OR? I am hoping to look around the gorge area.

Thanks!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
People probably won't post locations to someone new, but if you poke around the site you can learn about the kind of habitat to look for.

matamander

Reaction score
Agreed with Otterwoman, but the whole Pacific coast is gorgeous. I have more experience with Northern Cali and the Olympic Peninsula, but any moist forests with creeks/seeps are a sure bet, but it also depends what you are looking for. A great resource, especially for habitat ideas, is californiaherps.com. Although this site focuses on herps found in Cali, there are many similar species or subspecies that occur more north along the coast that would utilize similar habitat.

HendersonA

Reaction score
Agreed with Otterwoman, but the whole Pacific coast is gorgeous. I have more experience with Northern Cali and the Olympic Peninsula, but any moist forests with creeks/seeps are a sure bet, but it also depends what you are looking for. A great resource, especially for habitat ideas, is californiaherps.com. Although this site focuses on herps found in Cali, there are many similar species or subspecies that occur more north along the coast that would utilize similar habitat.

I'll give it a look! I am not looking for anything in particular. I think any newt would be cool but I am open to anything since I am just starting my herping hobby.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!