Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Biotopes in central Spain - Sierra de Gredos

R

rubén

Temporary ponds in Ávila province, where lives and breeds Lissotriton boscai, Triturus pygmaeus, Pleurodeles waltl, Pelobates cultripes, etc...

80527.jpg

Pelobates cultripes, most of them on the water:

80528.jpg

80529.jpg

At the evening, some Pleurodeles waltl were on the borders of the pond. One of them, was an huge female of 30 cm!

80530.jpg

80531.jpg

80532.jpg

80533.jpg

80534.jpg

Pygmaeus females use to lay the eggs from february to april:

80535.jpg

80536.jpg

80537.jpg

80538.jpg

80539.jpg

80540.jpg

80541.jpg

80542.jpg

80543.jpg

80544.jpg

R

rodrigo

great pics! I´ve always enjoyed P.cultripes for the alien look hehe. Those pics of pygmaeus laying are amazing, how do you take such shots????

btw...how are your dobros??? I´d definitely love to see more pics of them
happy.gif
For my taste it´s the most photogenic newt.

C

cameron

You took some Amazing pictures! The I think Spadefoot toad? looks really cool too.

R

rubén

I forgot it...

80572.jpg

80573.jpg

Some shots of Lissotriton boscai laying eggs too. I took one male to appreciate the breeding pattern.

80574.jpg

80575.jpg

80576.jpg

80577.jpg

J

jennifer

I always love your photos, Ruben.
love.gif
I am curious about the 30-cm Pleurodeles newt. (She is really beautiful!) Was this newt coming from a terrestrial environment and entering the water here to breed? I assume she could not live year-round in this pond. If she was terrestrial, where would a newt that big hide on land?? Would they inhabit animal holes, like tiger sals do?

D

dane

those are some awesome shots, they have definetly pumped me up for this year

R

rubén

Thanks to all...

Jennifer:

The question of what do they do these animals when the ponds disappears at summer (when the temperatures sometimes reach over 40ºc) was always a mystery for scientific community. Personally, I'm convinced that they are buried during the long summer, as they occurs frequently, partially sandy soils.

I don't think Pleurodeles looks for small holes like Tiger Salamander use to do. Nevertheless, Pleurodeles have small and sharpened claws at the end of his fingers, and surely use it to excavate all type of soils.

R

rubén

The 30 cm long female of Pleurodeles is the animal of the 7th photograph...

The life cycle of this species depends on the rainfalls, more than the temperatures: When the presence of water allows it, usually from october/november to may/june (although this is a very variable period according to the altitude) Pleurodeles remain on the ponds.

I will try to make some shots of the aestivation period for this and other species, in may/june. The animals are under the stones on the humid parts of the dry pond, and you can find a lot of them together (pleurodeles, pygmaeus, Lissotriton). When the pond is completely dry, some days later, the newts "disappear". My theory is that migration takes place at night (when they burying down)

C

christian

Very nice photo's, the waltl's look more colourfull as captive one's, very nice!

What kind of weather/climate is it in that area through the year?

R

rubén

The area of the photographs is a protected valley, surrounded by mountains. With a low altitude of 400/500 m., the climate is the typical mediterranean, with rainy/mild winters and long/very warm summers. Negative temperatures are very rare, however some days at summer reach over 40 ºc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1