Trip to Guadarrama mountains ( Central Spain )

R

rubén

I wanted to show some pics of this, my last mountain trip in september, around Guadarrama mountains, just in the limit of Madrid and Segovia provinces.

Peat bogs, grass and ponds where lives T. marmoratus, T. alpestris cyreni and Alytes obstetricans boscai, at 2.140 m. of altitude.
47936.jpg

47937.jpg

47938.jpg

47939.jpg

47940.jpg

47941.jpg

Small neotenic alpestris cyreni
47942.jpg

Hi Rubén, thanks for posting. Those are great photos, and it is fantastic to see the natural habitat of some of these salamanders.

Mike

Great photos! I have no doubt they're going to reappear in my dreams tonight. I'd love to have a change to visit such a place some day, picnic basket in hand
biggrin.gif

Can all three of those three species you mentioned be found in a single pond or are they "allopatric"?

Tim: look at his other post, the pond has 4 caudates and 3 anurans i think in the same body of water.

Thanks to all

Tim _ I found as "allopatric" ( in the same ponds ) M. alpestris cyreni, T. marmoratus, and Alyes obstetricans.
Certainly T. marmoratus cannot be called an abundant newt there ( as much as alpestris cyreni ) because there reaches his record of altitude. It's an isolated population ( T. marmoratus prefers the forest level of Pinus sylvestris, 900 - 1.600 m. ) different regarding morphology and colour ( I don't know if genetic too ) with and interesting belly pattern very close to pygmaeus, but then are the most dark, dumpy and robust marmoratus that I have never seen.
It will be necessary to study them better
biggrin.gif

Over that level, 150 m. higher ( Photographs number 9º, 10º and 11º in Trip to Guadarrama II ) appears the breeding ponds for Bufo bufo, Bufo calamita and Salamandra s. almanzoris.

P.S. ( Below 1.600 m. Lissotriton boscai replaces to alpestris cyreni in the same ponds with T. marmoratus )

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back