Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White spot on gill? Should I worry?

LouieTheAxolotl

Reaction score
I noticed today that Louie has a small white - pinch almost on one of his gills. I didn't see it there yesterday when I did a water change. He does have some broken pot pieces in his tank (sanded thoroughly, so sharp edges) that he had knocked over last night, is it possible his gill got pinched underneath? Or is is something I should worry about?

Params are
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm
Ph: 7.8 - 8.0

Attachments

• 20180701_181804.jpg
    20180701_181804.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 20180701_181728.jpg
    20180701_181728.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 119

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I've seen a few posts recently where there has been a loss of pigment in the gills, I still don't know the cause. Maybe like you said the pot fell on his gill and broke some blood vessels? Keep an eye on it for the next few weeks and see if it changes. 3

Reaction score
Does it look fuzzy or cottony? If so then it is probably fungus. To treat that you need to give your axie a salt bath. Fungal infections are usually caused by injuries, poor water quality and prolonged periods of high water temperatures.

Reaction score
It's probably just pigment then. I wouldn't worry about it, but like Hayleyy said, keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't worsen or change over the next few weeks :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!