Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl not Eating

Jessdino

Reaction score
My copper Axolotl Parker hasn’t been eating.... honestly I can’t remember the last time he ate. He doesn’t appeared stressed or anything. He’ll snap at food ad spit it out. All my water levels are fine. I tested it just now. I’ve finally quarantined him today after he refused to eat again. His tail does look like it may be swollen at the base where is cloaca is. I’m concerned about impaction by I’m not sure what signs that or how to treat it. I’ve always had sand in my tank and never had an issue with it. Help!

F4C2685F-3A16-4B60-AD6A-E439858BCE80.jpg

392862DF-C34E-4D33-8FEB-5654389B36BF.jpg

F3B499A5-9253-40BA-98FF-646F0AF4FD2A.jpg

Reaction score
Is he floating at all or having trouble keeping his bottom on the floor? That would most likely mean he is constipated, and you should fridge him. I would definetly keep an eye on the swollen cloaca because there could be a possibility that he has prolapse. If the cloaca gets any worse I would reccomend taking him to the vet right away. For the eating, maybe try switching up his food a bit. What are you feeding him? And how long have you been feeding it to him for?

Jessdino

Reaction score
He’s not floating and doesn’t appear stressed in any way. He’s lost a bit of weight from his hungry strike. I was feeding him night crawlers and switched to red wigglers today. At first he wouldn’t eat but my sister suggested stunning the worm saying he might now like the wiggling in his mouth. I heat shocked a red wiggler and he ate it... I decided to see if he’d keep it down overnight befor giving him anymore since he’s in his own tank now.

Reaction score
Keep an eye on him and maybe try feeding him in a separate bucket. Another possibility for your swollen cloaca could be that your axie is a male but hasn't shown it until now.

Jessdino

Reaction score
He’s definitely a male. He’s about 8 months old. Today I heat shocked about 5 red wigglers and he ate them all! I was so proud. Maybe my sister was right that he just doesn’t like live food... Wiggly food maybe isn’t a good feeling to him. For now I’m leaving him in a separate tank until I get a good bowel movement from him and I can get him to eat a couple more times.

Jessdino

Reaction score
Wanted to update on Parker! So his preferred eating schedule is one earthworm, heat shocked, once a week. While his tankmate Toothless would rather eat 2 worms, alive or dead, every 3 days. VERY different but it’s alright. Parker has gained back his weight and has been doing great!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1