Question: Can I house a Spanish Ribbed Newt with a Tilototriton Shanjing? ( Crocodile Newt )

Snewt

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Snewt
I own 1 Spanish Ribbed newt ( Desmond ) he is roughly 5.5" long and is established in a aquatic 20Gal tank. There is a small floating island - roughly5x5" but he mainly likes the water, so the tank is set up with that in mind 7.5" (height of water) . The temperature is kept at 72/74degrees C. He eats frozen and dried bloodworm's and the occasional earthworm.

I was wondering if it would be possible to keep a Shanjing Crocodile Newt with him. I don't know if the water would be considered to cold for a Shanjing or if either of the newts toxins would conflict with one another. I also don't know if the Shanjing would much prefer a more land based set up...If anyone has any information or tips it would be much appreciated. If this sounds like an outright bad idea please tell me!
:confused:

Shanjing are almost fully terrestrial. Bad idea.

Thanks for the feedback, I have done more research since posting and I deff wont be mixing these two!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back