Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cynops Orientalis - Impaction? Tail Rot?

l0uiswh0

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have two (presumably) female newts left. Both have been the picture of health since I got them, always much rounder, bigger and stronger than the poor malnourished little guys, all three of whom I lost :( One of them is worrying me though.

She's always had a slight dip, of sorts, in her tail... sort of like a chunk was taken out of it once upon a time but healed right up. Now I've noticed the edges of that lil dip sort of fraying. I can't see any signs of fungus or rot, so I'm a bit bewildered. Should I give her a gentle salt bath just in case?

She has also always been much fatter than the other. I was worried for a long time that she was impacted, but having looked at pictures of impacted newts I don't think she's nearly that bad. Just.. chubby. I think she's pooping ok, but it's hard to tell without isolating her, which I'd really rather avoid. Could she just be chubby?

I'm aware that this would be much easier with pictures, but the one time I need her to sit still she just won't... will do my best and upload some shortly.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

l0uiswh0

Reaction score
fcv7nl.jpg

2qsm0lk.jpg

2u7blh1.jpg

30ni3d3.jpg

96wzkg.jpg

wargar

Reaction score
Hi,

It's hard to make out the ragged end thing on the tail from the photo's, however I can't see any sign of infection .I have 2 older females (8 years old) with the same irregular tails, at first I thought they would regenerate or dissapear on shedding but they never did and they still have them now,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1