Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is my axolotl getting sick?

MandixxMay

Reaction score
Today while I was feeling my axoltols I noticed my one juvenile melanoid has this white patch near its back legs. Around his gills have always been absent of colour almost , like white but more opaque ... but I've never noticed this on his body before, is that just a normal colouration of his?
Also... when I was looking at his back, parts of it look also like a different texture. It looks almost like it's dry or something.
What could be the cause of this ?
I recently did a huge tank change , pulled up and rearranged alot of my live aquarium plants . I think in doing so I kicked up alot of nitrates so my levels have been high the past 2 days. I've done a water change already and it looks like my guy still has a great appetite other then the skin change.
I'm a new axi owner so I'm quick to jump to him being sick!
I would really appreciate any thoughts or comments you have !

Attachments

• 20160225_014301.jpg
    20160225_014301.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 374
  • 20160225_014250.jpg
    20160225_014250.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 342

Skudo09

Reaction score
Hmmm it kind of looks a little like his slime coat is shedding. Have you tested for ammonia and nitrite? Is the tank cycled? Also, what is the temperature?

MandixxMay

Reaction score
Hmmm it kind of looks a little like his slime coat is shedding. Have you tested for ammonia and nitrite? Is the tank cycled? Also, what is the temperature?

Ammonia is 0 , but my nitrite is pretty high at the moment .... I changed around my tank 3 days ago now (moved around alot of the established plants) so I think I messed up and released alot of the nitrates Into the water from the substrate, I've been doing water changes to get on it. But the tanks been cycled for 2 months now . Going on 3 months.
And the temperature is 20

So what should I do to counteract this? :s

Skudo09

Reaction score
If you have nitrite in the water, the tank is not cycled. What are the exact readings? Nitrite is toxic to axolotls and is likely the cause of the slime coat shedding. You are best off placing your axolotl in a tub of fresh, cool, dechlorinated water and change 100% of the water in the tub daily whilst you work to rectify the water quality issues in the tank. Clean, cool water will help the healing process. You could also offer a black tea bath to soothe the skin.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1