Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Juvenile with bloated bruised belly?

Kizu

Reaction score
Hello! I bouight two really young axolotls (5cm/2 inches) one is a golden albino (Billy) and the other is leucistic (Silly).

This is them right off the bag
h5zlQ5d.jpg

They're both eating earthworms (small ones or 1/2 of a large one each, every day) and here I see some difference between the two, I'm not sure if it's really an issue, look here:
EkQre0A.jpg

As you can see, Billy has a flat stomach, but Silly has a round stomach, I've been told the "bruising" I see is actually it's internal organs and it's round because it has eaten recently and I shouldn't worry, but Billy is an albino and I don't see any of that, this is what concerns me...
Silly's belly does shrink a bit after a couple of hours but it's still nowhere as flat as Billy's
Also, Billy seems to swim a lot (I mean, A LOT) Silly just stands around and sometime does go swimming but overall isn't as active as Billy
I should note that Silly does poop, but I'm still concerned so I figured it's better to ask anyway, is this impaction?
pYptPlT.jpg

Before I bought them, they spent the night in a petshop which had them in the same tank as Goldfish, and eating Goldfish food, the tank had gravel! So after having them for a day I took Silly to the vet and he said he looked fine to him (but I think my vet doesn't know much about axies)
I had them with sand for a couple of days before I cleaned the tank and left them with a bare bottom tank (just in case)

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the red bit you see is the liver,dur to the lightness of the skin, it is more visable on your little axolotl.
It is possible that he has eaten some gravel, but you are doing the right thing by having them on the bare bottom tank, you may see some gravel if its passed. Do keep us posted if there are any further changes.:happy:

tipnatee

Reaction score
Totally agree. They're still very young . So their survival rate still high if they accidentally swallow gravel. I guess you have have to wait and see .

Kizu

Reaction score
Silly has started to throw up the gravel, he doesn't seem to be able to come down, is this normal?

Kizu

Reaction score
Well it seems he's settled down, belly's still a bit round but maybe it's in the normal range? I'll take a picture as soon as there's daylight tomorrow

Kizu

Reaction score
I got impatient, here's some pics

iwka73H.jpg

The infamous gravel

BsZbP6E.jpg

Silly with a flatter belly

Still it's a bit round maybe there's still one in there? or maybe it's some sort of inflammation?
Also that dark spot on the back of the... torso? Is traslucent like there's no organs in there, is he alright? :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!