Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Holiday and axolotl

haysmith999

Reaction score
Hi all!
I’ve had an axolotl since mid Feb so a fairly new axolotl owner.
S/he is about 5 months old and about 5.5 inches long. I feed a blood worm cube every day and the occasional pellets.is this a good amount? She always seems eager to eat.
I’m going on holiday in may for 1 week, reading around they can fine for one week without feeding but not sure if she is too young to leave, I have no one nearby to pop in and feed/clean up. My other option is that I can take her to a pet shop for the week. Would this be better? Or is half hour drive and a week in a strange place more stressful? Just want to do what’s best for her :)
She is currently in a 10 gallon tank which is fully cycled (upgrading to a 3ft tank after my holiday)

Attachments

• D7D7CC37-E4C2-4C34-BD2B-3F65010C6DC3.jpg
    D7D7CC37-E4C2-4C34-BD2B-3F65010C6DC3.jpg
    581.1 KB · Views: 203

Leedle3dle

Reaction score
I've had my axolotls for a few years now and have had to leave them for a few days. I personally think it would be fine as long as there isn't another axolotl in the tank with it. You should probably just do a big water change before.

MnGuy

Reaction score
This is my practice for my 3 alpine newts, reef aquarium, 10 gallon tropical fish tank and lone betta whenever I go on vacation for a week or less:

-Feed well every day up to and on the morning of departure. But do not overfeed.
-MAYBE do a water change, but NOT within three-four days of departure. I personally think it's a bad idea to do anything drastic to your aquariums right before you leave. I'd do a water change A WEEK BEFORE I leave, maybe.
-Make sure all filters, air pumps, lights, etc. are working.
-Put lights on automatic timers several days before I leave. (They're pretty much on timers all of the time anyway.)
-Add an extra air stone in aquariums depending on the fish load, weather, etc. (For example: for cold water tanks.)
-Make sure all home heating/cooling systems are on and appropriately set for the time of year NO MATTER WHAT THE FORECAST SAYS. I made the fatal mistake of turning off my AC one summer during a weeklong vacation, and we had a freak 100+ degree day that killed my native cold water fish tank.
-Close all blinds that may allow in sunlight/extra heat.

I don't have anyone check on my tanks unless I'll be gone for more than a week. I don't know anyone who is particularly knowledgeable or interested, which makes me more worried than leaving my tanks alone for a week with my preparation.

Good luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!