Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New here: 2 white axolotls

Yucca Patrol

Reaction score
I just received two axolotls this past week and finally got a few decent photos. I've wanted them for a long time. . . .

IMG_0323.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0299-1.JPG

big a little a

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Stunning - the tank looks fantastic. Just to check though, is that black sand or gravel? My eyes are funny today, can't see too well :cool:

Zoe x

nora

Reaction score
Stunning cuties. Your tank is lovely also.
nora

Yucca Patrol

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

I collect all my own driftwood and it can take a couple of years soaking in a tub in the basement before it is completely saturated and sinks. I've been saving this nice stump for something special like this tank.

The substrate is Tahitian Moon Sand. It is black but has some greenish jewel like grains that give it a very rich color and great contrast with the white axolotls. . . . When my axolotls eat bloodworms, they do seem to get a mouth full of sand but are very capable of spitting out the sand before swallowing the worm.

Celeste

Reaction score
WoWWWWW!!

Congratulations!!!! Your axies are beautifull and your tank too!! Nice job!

2os4sds

Reaction score
Great looking tank,the black sand really shows the axies off.:cool:

Yucca Patrol

Reaction score
They are growing fast and I am having fun working to get some good photos. Here is probably my best so far

blood%20worm%20feast%20contest.jpg

Yucca Patrol

Reaction score
How do I enter it in the calendar competition? This photo took several hours to make happen. Glad others like it.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
If you look on the caudata.org homepage there is a thread there about entering the competition. You have to email the photos.

Yucca Patrol

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your kind comments on my photos.

I went ahead and submitted it for consideration.

I need to post some photos of my new wild type axies... . .

I was going to also submit some photos I took of the main night for spawing of the spotted salamander we have here in Alabama, but it turns out that the image quality does not meet minimum requirements.. . .

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Yucca Patrol,

Great looking axolotl and I love your setup especially your driftwood.

Lacey

Reaction score
Your tank looks great. So does the picture, i've seen two so far that i think look great, one of them is yours ;) Well done on the hard work. Good luck for the future

melfly

Reaction score
Wow
Your photos are amazing and your axies and set up look great too!!
Well done!!

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1