Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Whats the best way to freeze feeder earthworms

BabyNewtSpotty

Reaction score
Anyone know a good way to freeze earthworms for a newt (during the winter months and vacations in the summer) and have them still be alive when they are thawed out and also what would be the best way to do that I need them to be fresh once thawed so they can get cut and still be moving around?.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Re: Whats the best way to freez feeder earthworms

Wait...you want to freeze them but want them to be alive when they thaw? That´s not going to happen! Few species tolerate any degree of freezing, and they are not the commercially available ones.
Sadly, earthworms freeze badly...once you thaw them they are usually quite deteriorated and well....disgusting.

I think the best option for your needs would be to set-up an indoor culture. That way you will always have available worms even if it´s winter or summer.

Last edited:

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Best bet is to find a year round supplier. There must be plenty in Canada because they
1. have ice fishing and 2. I believe they are the source of most of our store-bought nightcrawlers.

Nathan050793

Reaction score

I'm more inclined to agree with Dawn, just because depending on what you want to do, finding a supplier to buy them from is well...nice and easy! Check around at bait shops, though make sure you refrain from purchasing "red-wigglers" as they have a notoriously bad taste that turns some newts off from eating them. Alternatively, some pet stores also carry night crawlers.

Wolferic

Reaction score
Also.. Just a quick note here...
The newt you have in question to raise is in fact illegal to raise and should be released back to where you found it..
You have a Red Spotted Newt.... in the eft stage.. They are great to take pics of but should be released back to the spot where you found it would be best as it would be near the vernal pool /pond/ slow moving stream where it was hatched.

Also by your own accord you do not in fact know how to keep it over the winter and at the stage you have it at (less then 3 cm) you will probably kill it. I would if I were you look for a Mole Salamander who is bigger in a pet shop and more then likely used to being hand fed. It will be a easier pet to care for and look after with less stress to you and not be against the law. Besides if you get attached to your red eft he will just turn aquatic in a few years and be more of a hassle to you.. lol. Go for the Tiger sals..:> Or some sort of Mole Salamander.. I also live in Ontario.. If you need some advice PM message me.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1