Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

"Fish with Hands" - capture of a giant salamander

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think he must have to ham it up a bit for the cameras, "squeeze its tail Jeremy, make it try and bite you again!" 8) 8)
There was some really nice footage of Japanese giants on the BBC series "In cold blood", it showed how they breed and how the males fight over the best burrows.

otolith

Reaction score
So much mis information and poor handling going on for working with an endangered species. "Just as at home out of water" my ***, look at that thing! Later in that same episode I believe they capture and remove naturalized Japanese Giant x Chinese Giant hybrids which seemed a little easier to justify. The "In Cold Blood" series really is fantastic.

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I think I have seen the "In Cold Blood" you are referring to - I have an image in my memory of giant salamanders living in a clay pipe or something similar.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, yep that's the one! The two males fight over the drainage pipe and the winner has the female come and lay her eggs in there. There is also some really nice footage of Alpine newts in the wild on there too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!