Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Frozen bloodworm with added nutrients.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lately I've come across brands of frozen Bloodworm that have added Canthaxanthin (for colour, presumably) and a combined vitamin supplement called Lonomiks. I've had a search on the net for a while and keep getting adds for various kinds of processed bird and fish food all over the world but no real info. I'm guessing by the lack of results in my searches that it's from a non English speaking country but I could be wrong.
Has anyone any idea what's in Lonomiks?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Google translate suggest it's a "multicomponent drug" which absorbs toxins and heavy metals. It's added to animal feeds to combat contamination. It appears to be exclusively Ukrainian so my first concern would be - why isn't it used more widely?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, that makes sense, especially for Bloodworm. My cynical side is telling me it's being added to clean up Bloodworm harvested from water with heavy metals contamination and other pollutants that would normally be sold only as fishing bait for next to nothing.

caleb

Reaction score
It looks like there are at least two products called "Lonomiks"-
"Lonomiks Neutrotox" is the one Mark mentioned above- the micrographs of this look rather like activated charcoal.
???????? ??????????

"Lonomiks Lonocide Max" is a preservative mix made from organic acids.
???????? ??????? ????

It's possible that 'Lonocide Max' is being used as a preservative- some other brands of frozen bloodworm include vitamin C, which may act as an acidic preservative, as well as being a vitamin.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!