Help identifying, please

Salamandad

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I caught these as aquatic larvae in my dad's yard ponds, in Rawlins, Wyoming, elevation ~7,000 ft. I can't decide if they are Ambystoma Tigrinum or Ambystoma Mavortium. I am leaning toward A. Tigrinum. I would like to know what kind they are and if it's possible, if they are still juveniles. I don't know when they hatched. They became terrestrial around August 1st. Looking at their eyes and toes they are still a little translucent. Any thoughts? Thank you.

upload%204_zpstspuzh6k.jpg

RS%20Dali%2028_zpstfzuaf76.jpg

I believe it is Ambystoma mavortium melanostictum, judging by range and patterning.
Seth

I agree with Seth. I did a bit of research just now and most of the more recent publications indicate A. mavortium as the major (possibly only) WY species and A. m. melanostictum a widespread sub species in Yellowstone. Older articles reference A. tigrinum melanostictum, and A. tigrinum mavortium.

Thank you. I can see marking traits of both A. Tigrinum and A. Mavortium. I ruled out melanostictum because the markings are so apparent. The photos I have seen of blotched tigers have much more muted patterns. More green and indistinct. I didn't think to check to see what species are native to this area, clever. Re-researching, I have to agree that that is most likely what they are. Thanks agains. Cheers!

Definitely a northern A. mavortium sp. Northern Barred Tiger Salamnders look great. I think they're more attractive than the southern variety. Eastern Tiger Salamanders have more of a spotting pattern. Though the ones you pictured above have a more of a similar head shape to A. Tigrinum the pattern resembles western variation. As far as the translucent features, mine have those also. Maybe it's due to just morphing and all pigment hasn't kicked in yet.

I have some Tiger Salamanders just like yours and maybe they're from the northwest.

Last edited:
Cute. The one looks like a camera hog. Ha. Are they newly terrestrial? How long have they been on land? The lack of pigment on their legs is interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Ian

should be melanostictum, maybe with some % of mavortium

Attachments

• distribution_tiger_600.jpg
    distribution_tiger_600.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 342
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back